The following was included in the city resident’s 2020 tax bill serving as reminder for 2021:
- Full payment or the 1st installment must be paid by January 31st to the City of Chetek.
- Mail your payment to: City of Chetek, PO Box 194, Chetek, WI 54728 – no receipt will be mailed unless you provide a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- Pay in person at city hall – Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. (220 Stout Street) Online – go to: www.cityofchetek-wi.gov click on “How do I” link on top of page, then under “Pay” click on “tax online payment”… (Additional fees will apply)
- Payments made after January 31st due date will be payable to Barron County – including your 2nd installment payable in July
Dog licenses – dogs that are at least 5 months old need to be licensed each year between January 1st and March 31st. Licenses are obtained at city hall with the current rabies vaccination certificate.
- Fees are $6.00 for fixed dogs – $12.00 for non-fixed
- Failure to license your dog could result in fines
- LANDLORDS – Please advise your tenants that they need to license their dogs
- Mail the rabies certificate along with a separate fee payment with your taxes and tags will be mailed to you
Animals – Animals are not allowed to run at large within the City limits and must be leashed when walking. The owner or person in charge of the animal shall not permit solid fecal matter to be deposited on any street, alley, or other public or private property unless immediately removed. Animals on property must be tied or enclosed in a proper enclosure to keep the animal from interfering with passing public or neighbors. No more than 3 dogs or cats may be kept on any residential lot within the City of Chetek without applying for a request from council – contact city hall for more information. 715-924-4838
- Barking Dogs or Crying cats – it shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly keep or harbor any dog which habitually barks, howls or yelps, or any cat which habitually cries to the discomfort of the peace and quiet of the neighborhood. Such dogs and cats are hereby considered to be a public nuisance. A dog or cat is considered to be in violation of City Ordinances when two (2) complaints are filed with the Chetek Police Department within a four (4) week period. Such violations are subject to penalties under Section 1-16. Contact the Chetek Police Department regarding violations. 715-924-3686
Garbage pickup changes due to holidays – neither residential or commercial garbage service will be affected by holidays in 2021.
Winter Parking – In order to facilitate the efficient and expeditious removal of snow from City streets during winter months, it shall be unlawful for any vehicle to park on any City street from November 1 to April 1 from 2:00 a.m. until 6:00 a.m.
Depositing snow on public streets, alley, sidewalks – No person shall deposit or cause to be deposited, any snow or ice taken and removed from his/her property, residence, parking area or elsewhere, including any snow taken from the sidewalk in front of such person’s lot or parcel, upon any sidewalk, alley, public place or street in the City – except snow removed from sidewalk areas where there are no boulevards. If you plow across the street you are responsible for cleaning excess snow deposited on the road from plowing.
Sidewalk Snow Removal – It is the responsibility of the owner or occupant of any lot or parcel to remove all snow and ice which may have fallen or accumulated upon the sidewalk in front of such lot or parcel. When ice has so formed that it cannot be removed, the owner or occupant shall keep the same sprinkled with a material which will prevent the sidewalk from being dangerous to pedestrians.
- It is your responsibility to clear the snow around your mailbox. There are times when public works may clear some snow but will not be done on a regular basis.
Yard Waste – (grass, leaves, pine needles, etc) will NOT be picked up with the regular garbage service. You may haul your yard waste to the City’s compost site located at 1500 Dallas Street (just past the industrial park). Please use COMPOST type bags or dump loosely. No plastic bags to be dumped at the compost site. Bring your city utility bill for proof of residence.
- Compost/Brush site will be open Wednesdays and Saturdays from 3:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m.
Grass/Weeds – The growth of weeds and grass in excess of six (6) inches in height from the ground surface is prohibited in the City of Chetek. Residents are required to comply with Ordinances regulating weeds and lawns or shall be subject to penalties and/or fines.
All ordinances are online at www.cityofchetek-wi.gov – under the “government” tab – then “code of ordinances”.